The Kenya High School Details
The Kenyan High School is a girls-only National boarding school located along Mandera road, Kileleshwa, Nairobi County. The school was established in 1908 as the Kenya European Girls’ High School. It was renamed ‘The Kenya High School’ upon independence in 1963. For more information, check the contacts below;
The Kenya High School aims to prepare students to make a positive contribution to the development of the society and to acquire the values of national patriotism, self-respect, self-reliance, cooperation, adaptability, a sense of purpose and self-discipline.
The Kenya High School is classified as a public secondary school and is funded by the government of Kenya and managed through a board of governors and parent-teacher associations (PTA).
Secondary school education in Kenya starts at 14 years of age and runs for four years. Upon completion, students sit for the Kenya Certiﬁcate of Secondary Education (KCSE). This prepares them for university, colleges, middle-level trades, professions, vocational and technical training.
Here are some interesting facts you don’t want to miss;
- School Code:20400003
- Level: Secondary School
- Day/Boarding: Boarding
- Gender: Girls only
- Ownership: Public
- Sponsor: Government of Kenya
- Student Needs: Ordinary
- System: 844
The secondary school curriculum in Kenya covers six major areas:
- Communication: English, Kiswahili, and foreign languages),
- Science: Physical Science and Biological Science.
- Humanities: History, government, social education, geography, religious education, and ethics),
- Applied Education: Agriculture, business education, accounts, commerce, industrial education, wood technology, metal technology, power mechanics, electrical technology, typing and office practice, home science, clothing and textiles, food and nutrition, arts, and music)
- Physical Education.
The Kenya High School KCSE Results
Individual candidates can check their KCSE results by SMS or online using an SMS number or website link provided at the release of the exam. Candidates and parents should visit the school for their official results slip. Results for all candidates and the school national, county and local ranking can also be found from the schools’ office.
The ministry of education advises parents teachers and pupils to check the KCSE result slip for any anomaly such as incorrect candidate’s name, school name and code as well as wrong subject grade and report to KNEC within a month after the announcement.
The Kenya High School Fees, Account Number and Uniform
For details on school fees structure, account number and uniform, please contact the principal or the school’s office using the contacts below.
Motto, Vision and Mission
School Motto: ‘Servire est Regnare’ translated as ‘To serve is To Reign’
School Mission: To provide quality education that meets the spiritual, academic, physical, social and economic needs of learners and enable them attain their highest academic potential.
School Vision: A Center for educational excellence and training.
The Kenya High School History
The Kenya High School had its beginnings in 1910 when a co-educational school called the Nairobi European School began in buildings designed for police Barracks. In 1931 the boys were separated from the girls. In 1935, the school was renamed The European Girls Secondary School and had its first Headmistress, Miss Kerby appointed. The buildings consisted partly of temporary wooden huts located on the compound of the present Nairobi Primary school, with whom the secondary school shared the present buildings. Staff housing was scattered in the vicinity of Protectorate Hill. In 1939, the school was renamed The Kenya High School.
In 1942, Miss Stott succeeded Miss Kerby. By this time, because of the existing overcrowding and lack of modern facilities, there was considerable demand for a new school. By 1944, the present site of about 100 acres on Kileleshwa Hill had been approved and sterling pound 150 had been voted in the 1945 budget as a token sum towards the laying out of the grounds. Eventually the total cost of building and laying out of the grounds reached sterling pounds 700,000.
The present school began to take shape and in 1950, 100 boarders moved into two boarding blocks of the partially completed new school. The site at that time looked very different from today. The trees and flowering shrubs, which do so much enhance and beautify the grounds, remained to be planted; the chapel, the library and the swimming pool were yet to be built.
The swimming pool was completed in December 1952, with the aid of a government loan. This loan was finally paid off at the end of 1967. The Chapel was dedicated in 1959 and the library opened in 1963. In 1963, Miss Stott retired and Miss Leeves took over.
Just prior to miss Stott’s retirement, the first African and Asian girls were admitted. The first African girl to be admitted in 1961 was Ann Mithamo During the four years of Miss Leevers’ headship, the inter-racial pattern of the school began to take shape. Before Miss Leevers left, she handed over to Miss Barnes. In 1967 plans had been made for the building of the Art Studio. Later in 1967, it was decided to extend the plan of the Art room to include a Music room and Music practice room. This block was completed early in 1969, when the Hon. D. T. Arap Moi officially opened on sports day. The school is still without an assembly which had to be omitted from an earlier building plan owing to lack of funds.
In 1974 the Kenya High School was taken over by the government and it began to take more African pupils and teachers. The first African Headmistress was Mrs. R. Kariuki. She took over from Miss Barnes in January 1977 and left in July of the same year after handing over the school to Mrs. M. W. Wanjohi on 22nd July 1977 to August 1999. After Mrs. Wanjohi’s retirement Mrs. Rosemary Saina took over in September 1999 to date.
There was school committee as early as 1932, whose members dedicated themselves to the well being of the school, in 1960, these duties were transferred to the board of governors. The school has had very able Heads of the board of governors e.g. Sir Phillip Mitchell (1960-1963), Mr. J. G. Francis(1963-1965) and it is particularly indebted to Mr. Charles Njonjo who served the school for 10 years (1966-1976), Mr Geoffrey Kariithi (1977-1988), Dr. Eddah Gachukia (1984-1988) became the first lady chairperson of the board, Ms. Margaret W. Kenyatta(1989-1996), Mrs. Damaris Ayodo who serve in the board from 1975 became chairperson (1996-1999), Mrs. Rebecca Masese took over from1999 to date.
History cannot forget many dedicated people who played a very significant role in the running of the school such as Mr. Mortimer who donated the former main gate. There are several tables and chairs in the library donated by individual parents. In her will, Molly Nesbitt, left part of her money as bursary to the best French students annually.
Apart from these individuals, the government gave all the monies for the capital development. In the early 1980s cost sharing between the parents and the government was effected.
The present Parents Teachers Association was started on 12th July, 1979. The idea was proposed by the Professor J.M. Mungai who became the first chairman. The following people acted as the care takers in the executive committee until the Annual General meeting was held. Professor Joseph M. Mungai, Ven. John Kago, Professor F. A. Mutere, Professor V. K. Gupta, Mrs. M. Mpaayei, Mr. B.O. Okudo, Mrs. Grace Ogot, Mr. C. A. De Ameida, Mr Davidson Ngini and M. L. Handa, Deputy Registrar General.
The P.T.A. was registered with the Attorney General in October 1979 and Professor Joseph Mungai became the first P.T.A. chairman until 1985 when Mr Wasunna took over up to February 1995. Thereafter, the chairpersons of the P.T.A. were The Kenya High School Contacts: Prof. K. Wambari (1995-1997), Mr. P. E. Mwaisaka (1997-1998), Mr Lee Muthoga (1998-1999), Major (Rtd) C.N. Diffu (2007 -2009), Prof. J. Kaimenyi (2008 – 2009) ,Mr G. S. Mutungi (2009-2013), Dr. Bitange Ndemo (2013-2015) the P.T.A. chairman is Mrs. Gacicio who took over in 2015 to date.
It is worthwhile noting that the Kenya High School enrolment has gradually increased over time; in the late 30s the school had 35 students, in the 40s, 150 and this rose to 500 in the 50s. This upward trend continued in the 60s with a total students’ body of 650. In the 70s the total population had risen to 700.The 80s and 90s had an enrollment of between 800 to 850. Currently the school population stands at 1200 students.
The Kenya High School Contacts (Address, Location, Email, Telephone and Website)
School Name: The Kenya High School
Physical Location: Mandera road, Kileleshwa, Nairobi County.
Address: P.O. Box 30035-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
School Category: Public
School Code :20400003
Phone Number: +254-020-434 7504 / 434 7333 / 434 7473
Drama Club: Yes
Debate Club: Yes
Sports Team: Yes
Girls Scouts: Yes
1. Health Benefits of Apples
2. Health Benefits of Bananas
3. Health Benefits of Honey
4. Health Benefits of Ginger
5. Health Benefits of Garlic
6. Health Benefits of Lemon
7. Health Benefits of Pumpkin
8. Health Benefits of Watermelons
2. Diabetes Treatment
4. Breast Cancer
5. Blood Pressure
6. Heart Attack
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.