A Guide To Tsavo East National Park Kenya
The joint mass of Tsavo West and Tsavo East National Park Kenya forms one of the largest National Parks in the world and covers a massive 4% of Kenya’s total land area.
Tsavo East, the larger of the two, lies to the east of the Nairobi – Mombasa road, equidistant between Nairobi and Mombasa, and offers a vast and untapped arena of arid bush which is washed by the azure and emerald meanderings of the Galana River, guarded by the limitless lava reaches of the Yatta Plateau and patrolled by some of the largest elephant herds in Kenya.
Facts About Tsavo East National Park Kenya
Area: 11,747 sq. km.
Altitude: 150-1,200 metres above sea level
Location: Southeast Kenya, inland from the coast.
Climate: The Kenya safari travel climate is warm and dry, temperatures ranging from 20-40 degrees C, rainfall from 200mm-700mm per annum (the ‘long rains’ falling between March and May and the ‘short rains’ between October and December).
Vegetation: One of the globe’s last biodiversity strong holds, this Kenyan safari park features bushy grasslands, open plains, semi-arid acacia scrub and woodlands.
Mammals: Kenya wildlife safari sightings include lion, leopard, elephant, black rhino, hippo, giraffe, lesser kudu, oryx, Cape buffalo, zebra, yellow baboon, waterbuck, gemsbok, Coke’s hartebeest, gerenuk, and gazelle.
Birds: The prolific bird life features 500 recorded species.
What to see at Tsavo East National Park Kenya
Elephant In Eden
The sight of dust – red elephants wallowing, rolling and spraying each other with the midnight blue waters of the palm – shaded Galana River is one of the most evocative images of Africa.
The beautiful Aruba dam, located on the north bank of the seasonal Voi River, is visited by thousands of animals and makes a great game-viewing destination.
This whale – backed rock towers above a natural dam, which acts as a draw to hundreds of elephant.
The longest Lava Flow in the World
At 300 kilometers in length, the heat – shimmering edge of the Yatta Plateau is the longest lava ﬂow in the world and an ornithological paradise that attracts migrating birds from all over the world.
5 Named after Captain Lugard, the ﬁrst proconsul to East Africa, the Falls feature a bizarrely eroded rock neck through which the waters of the Galana River plunge into foaming rapids and crocodile-infested pools.
Spectacular Voyages of Discovery
Tsavo offers some of the most magniﬁcent game drives in the world – vast herds of dust-red elephant, fat pods of hippo, giant crocodile and a kaleidoscope of birds life are set against a blazing backdrop of endless bush.
What To Do At Tsavo East National Park
Elephant safaris, Kenya lodge safaris, Kenya safari camps, Kenya safari packages, family safaris. Thanks to its popularity, the park also offers a number of excellent Kenya safari tour options and Kenya safari packages.
Game drives are designed to take you close to the wildlife rich spots in the Tsavo East and West Park.
It is best between October and January, with many migratory birds including: African skimmers, red and yellow bishops, goshawks, buffalo weavers and palm nut vultures, to name but a few. Over 500 bird species have been recorded in the park, including ostriches, kestrels, buzzards, starlings, weaverbirds, kingfishers, hornbills, secretary birds and herons.
Accommodation And Hotels At Tsavo East National Park
P.0. Box 565, Voi, Kenya. Tel: +254(43)30019
Kingﬁsher Tented Camp.
P.0, Box 29 Malindi, Kenya.
Tel: +254(42)20l23 – Fax: 30261 – Email: kingﬁsher@swiftmalindi.com
Ndololo Tented Camp.
Tsavo Park Hotel, P.0. Box 244 Voi, Kenya.
Tel: +254(147)30050, 30533 – Fax: +254(147)30285.
Sentrim Tarhi Tented Camp.
P.0. Box 43436 – 00100 Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: +254(20)3l568O. Fax: +254(20)221814 – Email: email@example.com
P.0. Box 90653, Mombasa, Kenya. Tel: +254(41)475074
P.0. Box 714, Village Market, Kenya.
Tel: +254(20)521074, 520943 – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Epiya (hapeyu Tented Camp.
Alphatauri Ltd, P.0. Box 14653, Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel:+254(20)3749796 – Email: email@example.com
Patterson‘s Safari Camp.
P.0. Box 49265, Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: +254(20)4343389, 4347239 – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ashnil Aruba Lodge.
P.0. Box 90738 Mombasa, Kenya. Tel: +254(20)3S92240
Self – catering at Tsavo East National Park
There are no self-catering facilities in Tsavo East National Park.
Camping at Tsavo East National Park Kenya
There is only one operational public campsite (offering water and latrines only) named Ndololo Campsite (7km from Voi Gate). ‘Special’ or private campsites (no facilities) exist in a number of locations and these must be booked in advance on an exclusive use basis (reservations through the Warden or KWS HQ, Nairobi).
When to visit Tsavo East National Park Kenya
Tsavo East National Park is accessible by 2WD vehicles, and also by air, all year round.
What to take with you to Tsavo East National Park
Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks.
Attractions in Tsavo East National Park Kenya
- Elephant in Eden – The sight of dust-red elephant wallowing, rolling and spraying each other with the midnight blue waters of palm-shaded Galana River is one of the most evocative images of Africa
- Aruba Dam – The beautiful Aruba dam located on the north bank of the seasonal Voi River, is visited by thousands of animals and a great game viewing destination
- Mudanda Rock – This whale –backed Rock towers above a natural dam, which acts as a draw to thousands of Elephants
- Yatta Plateau – At 300 kilometers in length, the heat shimmering edge of yatta plateau is the longest lava flow in the world and an ornithological paradise that attracts migrating birds from all over the world
- Lugards Falls – Named after Captain Lugard, the first proconsul to East Africa, the falls feature bizarrely eroded rocks through which the waters of the Galana River plunge into foaming rapids and crocodile –infested pools
How to get to Tsavo East National Park Kenya
The Park (Mtito Andei Gate) is 232 km South of Nairobi and 250 km North of Mombasa on the main Nairobi – Mombasa Road. Note: Nairobi – Voi Gate 325 km, Mombasa – Voi Gate 157 km. The following entry gates exist: Mtito Andei, Voi, Buchuma, Manyani, lthumba and Sala.
There are several airstrips in the Park.
The Nairobi-Mombasa railway runs right through the Tsavo East National Park.
A Map to Tsavo East National Park
Tsavo East National Park – Please respect the wildlife code
- Respect the privacy of the wildlife, this is their habitat.
- Beware of the animals, they are wild and can be unpredictable.
- Don’t crowd the animals or make sudden noises or movements.
- Don’t feed the animals, it upsets their diet and leads to human dependence.
- Keep quiet, noise disturbs the wildlife and may antagonize your fellow visitors.
- Stay in your vehicle at all times, except at designated picnic or walking areas.
- Keep below the maximum speed limit (40 kph/25 mph).
- Never drive off-road, this severely damages the habitat.
- When viewing wildlife keep to a minimum distance of 20 meters and pull to the side of the road so as to allow others to pass.
- Leave no litter and never leave ﬁres unattended or discard burning objects.
- Respect the cultural heritage of Kenya, never take pictures of the local people or their habitat without asking their permission, respect the cultural traditions of Kenya and always dress with decorum.
- Stay over or leave before dusk, visitors must vacate the Park between 7.00pm – 6.00am unless they are camping overnight. Night game driving is not allowed.
Daily 6.00am – 7.00pm. Note: No entry is allowed on foot, and visitors will not be allowed into the Park after 6.15pm.
Current entry charges:
Obtainable via KWS HQ: Tel: +254(20) 6000800, 6002345 – Fax: 6007024
Email: email@example.com – website: www.kws.g0.ke
‘Safari Card‘ required?
Entry is by Safar iCard only. Safari Cards may be obtained and loaded at Voi Gate.
1. Health Benefits of Apples
2. Health Benefits of Bananas
3. Health Benefits of Honey
4. Health Benefits of Ginger
5. Health Benefits of Garlic
6. Health Benefits of Lemon
7. Health Benefits of Pumpkin
8. Health Benefits of Watermelons
2. Diabetes Treatment
4. Breast Cancer
5. Blood Pressure
6. Heart Attack
Accommodation and Hotels in Tsavo East National Park Kenya
Campsites in Tsavo East National Park
Privately Owned Lodges & Campsites in Tsavo East National Park,
- Voi Safari Lodge
- Kingfisher Tented Camp
- Ndololo Tented Camp
- Tarhi Eco Camp
- Satao Camp
- Epiya Chapeya Tented Camp
- Patterson’s Safari Camp
- Aruba Ashnil
Tsavo East National Park Entrance Fees and Charges
Adults KSH: 600
Child KSH: 250
Adults KSH: 1200
Child KSH: 600
Non – Resident
Adults USD: 75
Child USD: 40
Tsavo East National Park Contacts
Attraction Type: Wildlife
Category: National Park
City / Town: Voi
Road / Street: Mombasa Road
Telephone: 254 43 203 0049 254 714 311 716 254 43 203 1342
Entrance Fee: Yes
Tsavo East National Park Video
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.